LesMills

LesMills

Friday, December 28, 2012

The Year In Review

Some years pass by without any significant happenings.  Other years seem to be monumental in every way.

2008 was monumental in its infinite sadness and the destruction I chose to inflict upon myself.

2009 was monumental because I took back control of my life and my body, and for the first time I felt like I could shape my own destiny.

2010, 2011 were good years, and had great accomplishments of their own (my first marathon - then another 8 months later!!).  My life was rolling along quite nicely.

2012 has been monumental because of all of the change - in every area of my life.  Looking back over this past year it feels like my entire life has been building to these very moments.  And, the best part is: I'm not done yet.  I have not yet reached my full potential.  In fact, I feel like I am just getting started.

My year started with taping my Les Mills BodyPump assessment video.  I was terrified, anxious and worried that I wasn't good enough to pass.  Three weeks later (record timing, btw) I received the news that I had passed and was an officially certified Les Mills BodyPump Instructor.  I was shocked and so very excited.  In February I started teaching my own BodyPump classes at the YMCA that had gotten it all started for me, the Decatur-Dekalb YMCA.  Then, that first weekend in February I received a phone call from another gym, CoreBody Decatur, that they wanted me to teach for them, too.  In the space of a few weeks I had 3 classes of my own.  I am a firm believer in going with momentum when it presents itself.  It was then that I realized that I wanted to leave the world of public education and focus on my new role in fitness and start spending more time with my kids and my family.

The third week in February I turned in my letter of resignation to my principal.  She was supportive as was the entire faculty.  It is a decision that I have not regretted.

Fast forward to March.  My running partner recruited me to tackle the impossible:  a triathlon.  It was on her birthday and I wouldn't let her do it alone.  That put me face to face with one of my great fears: swimming.  I stared it down and didn't let the fear win.  On June 6 I did something I had considered to be out of reach for me:  a triathlon.  The sense of accomplishment from that race still resonates.  It has encouraged me to keep pushing that fear away and now I am working on improving my swimming technique.  I also learned that I enjoyed cycling - something I had never expected - which led me to my next moment of change.

July saw me sitting in a Schwinn Group Cycling Certification course.  I met the amazing Julz Arney and got certified to teach group cycling.  In September I got my own class at the Y and in December I was given my own class at CoreBody.  Momentum is still moving me along and I am flowing with where it leads.

Flash ahead to October 28.  The Marine Corps Marathon was incredible.  I posted a PR and beat my previous time by 15 minutes and that was with a hurricane starting to bear down on the city.  The race also taught me that I can miss my goal time and still be happy with how I performed.  A few weeks later I found myself riding up to Chattanooga, TN and experiencing Ragnar TN.  It was another amazing experience that I didn't expect.  I posted my fastest mile splits ever and gave me reason to believe I can run faster than I think.

Now, I am looking forward to 2013.  I have another marathon in March.  I am hoping to tackle an Olympic distance triathlon.  But mostly, I am looking forward to spending more time with my kids and my husband.  Through the process of change this year I have learned that in the last 5 years I have been living on the fringes of their lives.  In the past 4 months I have stepped back into their lives in a meaningful way and it has meant more to me than any race PR or athletic accomplishment I could ever achieve.  They are my heart, my soul and my inspiration.  This next year will be awesome.  I can't even begin to imagine where it will take me - but I am looking forward to the ride.

Happy New Year.